vJUG24 Keynote: An Overview of Kotlin for Java Programmers
This presentation covers highlights and differences in the Kotlin language as compared to Java, emphasizing some of the points that might compel you to consider moving to Kotlin. Points will be made through examples taken from the upcoming Atomic Kotlin book.
Speaker: Bruce Eckel
Bruce Eckel is a computer programmer and consultant. He’s given hundreds of
presentations throughout the world, published over 150 articles in numerous
magazines, was a founding member of the ANSI/ISO C++ committee and speaks
regularly at conferences. He was the creator and chair of both the C++ and
Java tracks at the Software Development Conference, was cofounder of the
Enterprise Architecture Summit and JavaPosse Roundup Conferences, and creator
of the Winter Tech Forum (www.WinterTechForum.com) and Software Architecture
Forum (www.SoftwareArchitectureForum.com). He also runs periodic Developer
Retreats (www.Developer-Retreat.com) which explore various software topics.
His technical blog can be found at BruceEckel.github.io.
Since 2009 he’s been studying management and alternative organizational
structures and periodically writes about them in his blog at
– *Atomic Kotlin* (with Svetlana Isakova) (*Upcoming*)
– *On Java 8* (May 2017) www.OnJava8.com
– *Atomic Scala* (with Dianne Marsh) www.AtomicScala.com
– *First Steps in Flex* (with James Ward, 2008)
– *Thinking in Java* (Prentice-Hall, 1998, 2nd ed., 2000, 3rd ed., 2003, 4th ed., 2006)
– *Thinking in C++* (Prentice-Hall 1995; 2nd ed. 2000, Volume 2 with Chuck Allison, 2003)
– *C++ Inside & Out* (Osborne/McGraw-Hill 1993)
– *Using C++* (Osborne/McGraw-Hill 1989)
– *Computer Interfacing with Pascal & C* (Eisys, 1987)