Java Profiling from the Ground Up!
We will take a deep dive into the guts of Honest-Profiler, an unbiased sampling CPU profiler for the JVM, and into the JVM internals which enable it to work.
- Introduction: CPU profiling, sampling and biases explained
- How does it hang together? interrupts, non-blocking code and an unofficial API
- Sampling the instruction pointer: how it works and limits of accuracy
- Walking the stack: demangling a mixed Java/native stack, challenges and limitations
- Reading a profile: flat profile vs. tree profile vs. flamegraphs
The talk will include some counter examples from other profilers(JVisualVM/JMC/YourKit/ZVision).
Speaker: Nitsan Wakart
A blogger (http://http://psy-lob-saw.blogspot.com/) and a coder with a pedantic passion for performance. My work has spanned army intelligence systems, dot.com era startups, financial institutions and innovative product companies. Currently the Lead Performance Eng. for Azul Systems by day, and main contributor to kickass lock free data structures library JCTools by night.
IRC logs can be found here.